Affection -Natural Healing Dr. Reetu Verma
Affection as we know it is the base of every relationship. But little known is that affection is natural healing method as creation itself. Affection can vary from moment to moment and person to person and depends on what inspires us and the need of the other person. Affection can be in a way of a warm cuddle, a big hug, holding hands, a smile, a hand on the shoulder or heart, a kiss, giving someone a tissue when they are crying, words of encouragement or any other act that helps a person to feel valuable. In India it is also common to pull each other cheeks to show affection. No matter what the act of affection, it is the unconditional love behind the gesture that does the healing.
AND there are many scientifically proven facts that physical affection is good for health:
- Releases feel-good hormones such as oxytocin (also known as the love hormone)
- Reduces the stress hormone, cortisol
- Physical affection is related to lower blood pressure
- Boosts your immune system
- Physical affection today puts you in a better mood tomorrow
- Physical affection is associated with higher relationship satisfaction
Affection does not always need to be physical contact.
- Express your appreciation
- Pay honest compliments
- Leave notes
- Do and say things that make them feel special
- Perform random acts of kindness
It’s important to remember that little things you do and say go a long way.
As Mother Theresa said “Do small things with great LOVE”